This page contains all the System settings, divided in four parts: In the first one, Portal, it is possible to define default values for the portal appearance; in the second one, Global Settings allows to specify some option used by the various parts of the Hotspot; in the third one, Accounts, common options for the account are defined; and in the fourth, the Character set for generated passwords used in Quick Ticket are chosen.
Some change in the settings in the Portal and Global Settings will cause all connect users to be forcibly logged off. Those settings are marked with a red asterisk in the GUI.
The first box encompasses the following option that can be customised:
- Homepage / Landing page
This option allows you to choose how to use the Hotspot’s captive portal. Depending on your choice here different options will appear:
Login portal - when choosing this the Endian UTM Appliance‘s portal will be shown. You will be able to define which website you would like to use as a background for the portal and when you want the login form to show up through the following options:
Login portal background URL - The URL used as the background for the Hotspot login portal.
Show login form - Choose from a drop-down menu how the Hotspot login form is displayed:
- immediately will display the login form immediately over the background homepage.
- manually will display the background homepage with a top navigation bar allowing the user to access the registration page at any time, with the home site being browsable without any user registration: This proves useful to promote an own Web site or to provide some information. Access to all other sites will still require registration, although sites listed in Allowed sites (see below) can always be accessed.
- after x seconds will display the login form after a user-specified period of seconds over the background homepage (user is notified of impending registration time on the navigation bar).
Your website with SurfNow button - when choosing this option the website you enter will be directly shown to the user when logging into your network. The only thing you need to do is place the SurfNow button on your homepage so that users can see it and log into the Hotspot. The only available option is:
- Your website URL - The URL of your website.
- Your website URL - The URL of your website.
For the SurfNow button simply add something like this snippet to the code of your website:<button onclick="window.open('http://hotspot.endian.com','_self')"> Surf Now </button>
- window.parent.hotspotAPI.showLoginPage(): Opens the Hotspot’s integrated login dialog.
- window.parent.hotspotAPI.connectWithCredentials(username, password): Directly performs the login without opening the integrated login dialog. The Start Browsing dialog appears.
- window.parent.hotspotAPI.changeStartBrowsingUrl(url): Changes the URL that will be open when clicking the Start Browsing button to the specified URL.
- Website after successful login
- The URL of a web page that will be shown to the user after a successful login.
- Use mini portal for mobile devices
- Allowed Sites
- Hotspot name
- A name given to identify the hotspot.
- Items per page
- The pagination value, i.e., the maximum number of items of a list or table per page that are displayed.
The currency used in all the calculations of payments in the Hotspot.
Some currency is not supported by PayPal, therefore it can not be used for SmartConnect tickets.
- Popular Countries
- Popular countries are listed first in the list of Countries presented to the users when they register, in order to reduce the time needed for the whole registration process.
- Enable AnyIP
- This option enables the AnyIP feature, which should assist clients not using DHCP and allow them to access the Hotspot even with a static IP that does not fall within the Hotspot’s (BLUE zone) IP subnet.
- Bandwidth limiting
The default upload and download limits per user in Kilobyte/s. If these fields are left empty, then no limit is applied.
Remember that one kilobyte corresponds to 8 kilobits, so make sure to enter appropriate values in the fields.
- DHCP dynamic range
- When this option is enabled by ticking the checkbox, dynamic IP addresses are assigned to the devices connected to the hotspot.
- Dynamic IPs range
- This option appears when the previous one is active and allows to specify a custom range of IP addresses within the BLUE zone to be dynamically assigned to the hotspot’s client.
- Require user authentication
- Tick the checkbox if you want that clients accessing the Hotspot need a valid, registered account.
- Require users to accept the ‘Terms of Service’ on login
- When this option is selected, the user is asked to accept the Terms of Service right before the login.
- Password recovery
Allow a user that has lost or forgotten her credentials to be able to reset them. Three options can be chosen:
- Disabled: No password recovery is allowed
- Using SmartConnect settings: The credentials are sent via the same means used in SmartConnect™
- Using custom settings: Personalised settings can be defined (see the box below).
It is possible to allow anonymous login (i.e., without user authentication), but requiring all the users to agree with and accept the Terms of Service. To do so, it is first necessary to create a ticket of type post-paid, then to disable option Require user authentication and enable Require users to accept the ‘Terms of Service’ on login. If the post-paid ticket has been created with a given validity, after that period the user will again be required to accept the Terms of Service.
- Timeout for idle users
- The time of inactivity after which a user logged out (default is 15 minutes, i.e., after 15 minutes of inactivity a user is automatically logged out), so that the user does not waste too much of the ticket’s validity.
- Default account lifetime (days)
- The number of days an account is valid (default is 365 days). After that number of days have passed, the user automatically becomes inactive.
- Allow deletion of used accounts
- This options allows the deletion of accounts that have already used parts of their tickets. If selected, the next option appears.
- Avoid deleting users who bought tickets with SmartConnect
- This checkbox appears when the previous option has been selected. By default it is enabled, suggesting that users who already bought tickets by credit card with SmartConnect not be deleted from the system.
- Delete disabled accounts on a daily basis
- Enable the automatic deletion of disabled user accounts on a daily basis.
Character set for Generated Passwords
The second part of the main settings allows the choice of the default values for the passwords that are automatically generated, for example when creating bulk of tickets. The following values for the passwords can be customised: The length, whether to use uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, or additional special characters. By default, passwords will be 6 character long and composed only by digits.
Password recovery custom settings.
When choosing to allow password recovery with custom setting, several configuration options appear, that are needed for a successful recovery process. The first one is the modalities by which recovery is done:
- Password recovery is done
- There are three choices for this option: via SMS, via e-mail, or both. Depending on the choice, different options appear, to configure how to send the SMS or the e-mail. Note that all options appear if both e-mail and SMS password recovery are enabled.
For the SMS recovery mode, there is only one additional option:
- Allowed country codes for password recovery
- It is possible to allow the sending of SMS only to those cell phones that belong to the selected countries. To add a new country code, start writing the country’s name or code in the Multiselect box above the countries’ list until the country’s name appears in the box underneath, select it, and finally click on the + on the right of the country’s name. Allowed countries appear in the right-hand side box and can be disallowed by clicking on the - on their right.
For the e-mail recovery mode, two options are available.
- Mail server
The SMTP server used to send the recovery email. It is possible to choose among three option from the drop-down menu.
- System SMTP server. To be able to choose this option, the must be activated.
- Custom SMTP server. In this case, the name of the mail server can be specified in the textbox.
- Sender email address
- A custom e-mail address that will be used as the custom sender of the recovery e-mail.
An additional option is also available for both recovery modes:
- Limit password recovery to
- The interval of time that must pass before trying to recover the password another time. Only one out of four options can be selected from the drop-down menu: once every 10 minutes, once every 30 minutes, once every hour, and once every day.